The problem with taking strong stands is that at times, you end up taking a stand for the sake of taking it, and hence, end up weakening your cause. The case in point being the new Airtel Ad. Have you seen it?
Is it regressive? Is it progressive? Should she be shown cooking? Should she be the boss? Meh.
My opinion is this. Its neither progressive, not regressive. Its a just a little bit stupid. Again, this is my opinion. Please allow me to explain. In my limited experience, this is how the work-life balance equation pans out:
In other words, what I am saying is this:
Case 1: Low Proximity to Boss
- When you and your boss limit your interactions to mails that start with FYI and end with “Regards”
- When you have to set up a calendar invite to see his face once a week
- When you present something to the outside world and he asks you questions there, like he has uncovered your awesomeness there and then
Verdict: Your work-life balance is as safe as it could possibly be. Take extended weekends and AWOLs just for the kicks and bet on whether your boss even noticed your absence. Professionally, you are screwed. But your work-life balance is balanced to the tip.
Case 2: Medium Proximity to Boss
- When you spend 60% of your time in your boss’ presence
- When after every dressing down you get, he asks how your family is doing and if everything is alright at home
- When he large-heartedly gives you an off for your anniversary, but calls you mid-way your candle-light dinner for an “emergency work requirement”
Verdict: You need to be worried. He knows your moves and he is on to you. Your work-life balance is not in balance. Its work-work-work-li-work-work-fe.
Case 3: High Proximity to Boss
- When someone close to you is your boss
- When you crack jokes together on everyone around
- When you make weekend plans together
Verdict: Sit back and watch your boss blossom out the meaning of work-life balance for you.
Anyway, my point was this. If your own wife is your boss, you are not just in Case 3, you are on the top of Case 3. It means, that your superior is looking out for you as much as you would. It means, that you have the whole world on your side. I mean, come on. This ad could have played out in such a different way than what they showed and still made Airtel the champion.
Let me try and do it for them.
There. Sweet. Simple. Progressive. Regressive. True. Fun.